I’ve been perusing the pages of netsoc’s members, hoping to find some good home-grown webby goodness. I saw that there are now more listed personal pages than in any of my previous years of membership, despite membership falling to about a quarter of its glorious high point of 00/01 in the same time. My hopes were quickly dashed.
A short but almost complete summary of what I found: crap
I’ll admit that that last summary wasn’t entirely fair or accurate, so for the sake of completeness:
- "This is my great site. Isn’t it great? I’m cool. Click here for some mindless crap."
- "Here’s a picture of me drunk. Here’s another."
- "Welcome to my cool site. It’s not done yet. But it’ll be great." – Last updated last century.
- "This is the official site of…" – WTF? This is free hosting from a college society. Can’t your hospital afford Ã‚Â€200 a year for comercial hosting and a domain?
- Some random plaintext – I’m looking at you Gary
But in this haystack I found a single needle, from paul’s ‘about me’:
My dream is to become a freelance mercenary ninja.
I think we can all agree with that sentiment.